This webinar series is aimed at parents of autistic students in Primary and Post-primary schools. The series will consist of five sessions online on 25th January, 1st, 8th, 15th & 22nd February with each Session taking 1 -1 1/2 hours. There will be time set aside for Q and A at the end of each session.
Facilitator Shaun Greville teaches in the Esker Centre, Ballinamere. Shaun completed 5 years secondment to the SESS and latterly the NCSE. He fulfilled the roles of Advisor and Assistant National Coordinator for the autism team with a focus on in-school support for teachers and both in-school and external CPD regarding autism.
It is hoped to form a regular support group for parents at the end of the 5 week Course facilitated by Shaun.
The webinar series will cover the following areas:
1) Characteristics of autism; Strengths and Challenges
2) Sensory processing: Pathway to Sensory Inclusion
3) Communication: Social Communication and Interaction
4) Stressful Behaviour
5) Safe Social Story Creation.
Learning outcomes for the 5 week course:
1) Characteristics of autism; Strengths and challenges: The participants will be introduced to the characteristic strengths and needs of autistic learners, the main psychological theories of autism and the different perspectives of intellectual rather than intuitive learners. This seminar will set the foundation blocks for further, deeper understanding to come.
2) Sensory processing: Pathway to Sensory Inclusion: The participants will follow a 4 step process from Awareness to Understanding to application and Inclusion of Sensory needs of autistic children. It is hoped that the participants will gain a further understanding of the Sensory Differences involved with Neurodiversity.
3) Communication: Social Communication and Interaction: The participants will take a deep look at the areas of Communication and interaction by looking at developmental levels, play skills and social interaction demands. There is a focus on the shared responsibility for social communication.
4) Stressful behaviour: A deep look at behaviours that may occur due stress and distress. The participants will look at the low arousal approach to stressful behaviours, the communication underlying stressors and strategies for helping students achieve a sense of regulation.
5) Safe Social Story Creation. The participants will be brought through the stages of writing Social Narratives for children that are Safe, Expliciat, Accurate and Meaningful(SEAM) focussing on information that informs children of what they are expected to do rather than not do.
Register in advance for this meeting: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJErdeqtrzgiHNA7Jd3ZEy3hE9jtg7U0laXl
|Course date||25-01-2022 7:00 pm|
|Course End Date||22-02-2022 8:00 pm|
|Cut off date||22-02-2022 7:00 pm|
|Speaker||Shaun Greville, ASD primary teacher and former NCSE|
The ESCI (Education Support Centres Ireland website lists all available courses and events from Education Support Centres nationwide.
Ionad Tacaíochta Oideachais Laoise
Laois Education Support
Ionad Tacaíochta Oideachais Laoise. Gach ceart ar cosaint. / Laois Education Support Centre. All rights reserved.
Deartha ag Web / Designed by On Target Web Design.