Coaching Skills for School Leaders
Laois Education Centre in association with CoachAcademy PLUS is delighted to offer
Coaching Skills for School Leaders
QQI Level 6 Special Purpose Award in Life and Workplace Coaching (Specialising in Educational Leadership Coaching)
This unique training programme is designed for School Principals, Deputy Principals, Assistant Principals and Aspiring School Leaders.
Dates: 24 Wednesday Evenings, 6.15pm to 9.15pm, September 23 to May 12
4 Saturdays, 9.30am-4.30pm.
Venue: Laois Education Centre
Places Available: 20
Level of Qualification: NFQ Level 6 Special Purpose Award (45 credits)
Course Fee: €1950 - Special Introductory Offer
€150 Registration fee with Application Form to Laois Education Centre. Closing date for registration July 6th.
Balance of Course Fee may be paid in 2 instalments to CoachAcademy PLUS
€900 due on September 10 and €900 due on February 26.
(CoachAcademy PLUS will contact you to process balance of payments)
Leadership Coaching Programme Schedule 2020/21
Module 1: Leadership coaching in schools – Coaching Principles and Practice
Module 2: Developing the School Leader Coaching Mindset and Skills
Module 3: Developing Emotional Intelligence - applying the coaching skills
Module 4: Coaching Models of Practice for the School Context
Module 5: Coaching and the ISM Team
Coaching is becoming increasingly important in organisations across many sectors. Whether you are seeking to introduce a coaching culture to your school or striving to unlock the potential of your staff, this programme will equip you with the effective coaching techniques and skills to succeed. You will enjoy a powerful and practical learning experience.
In our world of increased demands and expectations of school leadership roles we often experience pressure, leading to:
It’s amazing how quickly these responses become the norm and we just accept this as a way of life.
We are offering a practical, skills based programme to equip you with some of the key skills necessary for effective leadership in your school environment and to support and resource your CPD in a real, practical and relevant way.
The Leadership Coaching programme content and skills respond in a relevant and practical way to the guidelines prescribed in the four domains of the Quality Framework for Leadership and Management from the Department of Education and Skills (2016) publication, Looking at our School.
It is hoped that the CSL will endorse the programme in May 2020
The programme content is aligned with the AC [Association for Coaching] core competencies.
On this Coaching Special Purpose Award Programme you will:
- Discover new ideas in learning and behavioural change based on recent neuroscience research, indicating the value of coaching for leaders.
- Examine cases and situations where coaching would be most useful in your school
- Determine how to blend managing with coaching for the most beneficial results.
- Have achieved a high level of self-awareness
- Identify what mental and emotional states are necessary to hold during a challenging conversation so the person stays receptive to the conversation.
- Learn models of coaching most useful for developing people’s thinking as well as solving problems.
- Practice using coaching in a variety of leadership situations e.g. with staff, parents and students
- Have increased confidence in your coaching skills ability
- Engage in constructive conversations
- Listen with intent and communicate more effectively
- Use powerful questions to influence thinking
- Make requests and acknowledge achievements and best practice
- Delegate with ease and confidence
- Design action plans
- Establish agreements and commitments
- Monitor and facilitate progress through support, encouragement and validation
- Engage in sharing constructive feedback
- Manage your emotional state to respond effectively to everyday challenges and uncertainty
- Become more resilience in your school leadership role
Training and Learning Methodologies
The course is interactive, combining a balance between coaching theory and practice. Participants will be encouraged to learn by doing and to continuously reflect on new learning experiences. Continuous reflective practice will enable coaching perspectives and skills to be firmly embedded in the school environment.
The programme facilitates experiential learning, giving participants opportunities to practice new skills and discuss how to integrate the skills into the scenarios they regularly face in the school environment.
A wide and varied range of blended training / learning methodologies will be used, e.g. live coaching demonstrations, discussion groups, peer coaching practice sessions and observed coaching sessions with constructive feedback, online learning and e-Learning.
We firmly believe that one of the most important dimensions of the coach training process is the continuous personal and professional development and transformation of the course participant. Therefore, we encourage and support participants to:
- Become more self aware and practice non-attachment
- Make more conscious choices daily
- Develop a positive mental attitude about self, others, life and work
- Live with ambiguity and uncertainty
- Be more resilient
- Peer coaching practice
- Coaching skills practice in the school environment
- Written self evaluation on coaching skills utilised in the workplace
- Written essays and case study
- Coaching Project
- Coaching Skills Demonstraion
- Reflective Journal
Training Programme Facilitators
Noel Brosnan M. Phil., M.A., OMAC
Noel has a growing reputation for facilitating practical and relevant coaching
programmes which result in significant behavioural change, growth and development for managers / leaders, employees, teams and organisations.
He is proud of his interactive and engaging coaching style, which helps maximise learning, skill development and behavioural change.
Noel is always conscious of creating a safe learning environment for clients, built on trust and openness. His intention is to keep theory and practice simple and build awareness and learning one-step at a time. Noel’s coaching process is based on ‘brain friendly’ methodologies, which incorporate some of the latest developments in neuroscience and positive psychology.
Noel has engaged in over 1500 hours of 1:1 coaching. He has coached leaders in the health, pharmaceutical, financial and education sectors on leadership, change management, organisational goal setting / planning / implementation, delegation, team development, communication, performance reviews, conflict resolution, employee induction and engagement, well being and resilience.
He is privileged to have served a wide variety of organisations and companies including: The Department of Education and Skills, Bord Iascaigh Mhara, Hibernia College, GE Healthcare, Glanbia, AIB, Bank of Ireland, Crest Solutions and Stryker.
As a former teacher and member of a Post - Primary School Board of Management, and having coached Principals and facilitated workshops for students, parents, SNAs and teachers over the last 15 years, Noel has an in-depth understanding and appreciation of the challenges experienced by School Leaders on a daily basis
Elizabeth Garry Brosnan M.A., OMAC
As a business and executive coach for 15 years, Elizabeth coaches senior leaders from across all sectors including education, business, community and corporate.
Having coached numerous Principals, Elizabeth has an intimate knowledge of the changing school environment and supports Principals to develop their leadership capacity and to prioritise and act on the important over the urgent. Key outcomes of her coaching include:
- Greater work-life balance
- More focused attention and productive use of time resulting in less overwhelm
- Increased confidence and belief in own ability
- More delegation and less micro management
- More effective strategies for dealing with conflict
- Increased skills to have the challenging conversations
- More effective communication systems
Elizabeth also has vast experience in the areas of team building and in-depth knowledge of working with Boards of Management.
She empowers Principals in a confidential, supportive and trusting environment, to harness their strengths and learn new and effective ways of dealing with emerging and recurring issues.
Elizabeth has coached people in the following areas with excellent outcomes for the clients:
- Primary and Post Primary school Principals
- Home school Community Liaison Officers (Training & Coaching)
- Teacher Summer Courses - managing challenging behaviour in school
- Limerick Institute of Technology
- Presentation Brothers Anglo Irish Provence
- Presentation Ireland
For application form please see: https://www.laoisedcentre.ie/laois-education-centre-news/152-coaching-skills-for-primary-ad-post-primary-school-leaders.html
|Course date||23-09-2020 6:15 pm|
|Course End Date||12-05-2021 9:15 pm|
|Registration Start Date||08-05-2020|
|Cut off date||06-07-2020 5:00 pm|
|Location||Laois Education Centre|