Coaching Skills for School Leaders
The Laois Education Centre in association with CoachAcademy PLUS is delighted to offer
Coaching Skills for School Leaders QQI Level 6 Special Purpose Award in Life and Workplace Coaching
(Specialising in Educational Leadership Coaching)
This unique training programme is designed for School Principals, Deputy Principals, Assistant Principals and Aspiring School Leaders.
Dates: 24 Wednesday Evenings, 6.15pm to 9.15pm, September 30 to May 12
4 Saturdays, 9.30am-4.30pm.
Venue: Laois Education Centre
Places Available: 16
Level of Qualification: NFQ Level 6 Special Purpose Award (45 credits)
Course Fee: €1950 - Special Introductory Offer
€150 Registration fee with Application Form to Laois Education Centre
Balance of Course Fee may be paid in 2 instalments to CoachAcademy PLUS
€900 due on September 21 and €900 due on February 25.
(CoachAcademy PLUS will contact you to process balance of payments)
The programme is a blended learning programme, which mixes both face-to-face training (workshops and seminars) and live virtual online sessions (Zoom presentations and webinars). Face-to-face training takes place at the Laois Education Centre. Online modules are live group learning sessions facilitated by a member of our faculty.
Gain the knowledge, skills and confidence to coach effectively as a School Leader
Our QQI accredited Level 6 Special Purpose Award in Life and Workplace Coaching (Specialising in Educational Leadership Coaching) programme is aimed at:
- Primary and Post Primary School Principals
- Deputy School Principals
- Assistant School Principals
- Aspiring School Leaders
to equip them with the knowledge, skills and confidence to coach effectively within their existing leadership role in the school setting.
The Leadership Coaching programme content and skills respond in a relevant and practical way to the guidelines prescribed in the four domains of the Quality Framework for Leadership and Management from the Department of Education and Skills (2016) publication, Looking at our School.
We are currently engaged with the CSL in the process to endorse the programme for September 2020
On this Coaching Special Purpose Award Programme you will:
- Discover new ideas in learning and behavioural change based on recent neuroscience research, indicating the value of coaching for leaders.
- Define school leadership coaching and understand the range of leadership coaching styles and approaches
- Learn the transitional stages from Fixed / Drama Mind-set to Growth / Creator Mind-set
- Examine cases and situations where coaching would be most useful in your school
- Determine how to blend managing with coaching for the most beneficial results.
- Develop your self awareness, presence, and resourcefulness as a school leader coach
- Achieve a high level of self regulation, empathy and compassion
- Identify what mental and emotional states are necessary to hold during a challenging conversation so the person stays receptive to the conversation
- Learn models of coaching most useful for developing people’s thinking as well as solving problems and facilitating change and development
- Practice using coaching in a variety of leadership situations e.g. with staff, parents and students
- Engage in constructive conversations
- Listen with intent and communicate more effectively
- Use powerful questions to influence thinking
- Make requests and acknowledge achievements and best practice
- Delegate with ease and confidence
- Design action plans
- Establish agreements and commitments
- Monitor and facilitate progress through validation, support, encouragement and sharing constructive feedback
- Manage your emotional state to respond effectively to everyday challenges and uncertainty
- Explore the concepts of ethical and professional practice as a leader coach and learn the importance of reflective practice
- Build confidence and appreciation of your own leadership coaching style through repeated practise and constructive feedback from our faculty and fellow participants.
- Become more resilience in your school leadership role
The benefits of learning with CoachAcademy PLUS
Our coach training programme offers the following benefits:
- The training programme is designed to support you to develop personally and professionally, using a wide range of leadership coaching approaches combined with practitioner development.
- Our workshops are highly experiential, meaning you will be constantly practicing and learning techniques and frameworks to maximise your impact as a leader coach.
- We have a maximum cohort size of 16
- Our faculty will be role models for you, bringing expertise as internal and external coaches within the educational field of coaching.
- You will receive in-depth support from the programme facilitators. The level of support and expertise we provide sets us apart from other coach training providers.
- During the modules you will receive observation and constructive feedback from our faculty on your coaching skills to ensure you are confident in your capability as a leader coach).
- You will participate in 1:1 peer coaching during the course of your programme. We believe that in order to be a great leader coach you need to have fully experienced the development journey as a coachee / client too.
Not all coach training programmes require you to be coached. Programme participants have stated that they have found peer coaching to be an essential and practical experience in developing and learning leadership coaching skills and mindset.
Programme Structure / Content
Coaching is becoming increasingly important in organisations across many sectors. Whether you are seeking to introduce a coaching culture to your school or striving to unlock the potential of your staff, this programme will equip you with the effective coaching techniques and skills to succeed. You will enjoy a powerful and practical learning experience.
The Coaching Skills for School Leaders programme includes:
- Programme Modules and Learning Methodologies:
Module 1: Leadership coaching in schools – Coaching Principles and Practice
Module 2: Developing the School Leader Coaching Mindset and Skills
Module 3: Developing Emotional Intelligence - applying the coaching skills
Module 4: Coaching Models of Practice for the School Context
Module 5: Coaching and the ISM Team
Our modules cover specific coaching topics in a variety of learning styles, introduces key concepts and provide a forum for discussing best practice and the critical conversations that need to take place for you to learn, perform and enjoy being a leader coach.
You will learn the skills, techniques, and models of transformational coaching to develop your ability to work in increasingly uncertain and challenging situations within your school environment.
Each workshop combines elements of theory, demonstration and role modelling, practice and discussion about the practical implications of using leadership coaching skills and their application in a school context.
The course is interactive, combining a balance between coaching theory and practice. Participants will be encouraged to learn by doing and to continuously reflect on new learning experiences. Continuous reflective practice will enable coaching perspectives and skills to be firmly embedded in the school environment.
The programme facilitates experiential learning, giving participants opportunities to practice new skills and discuss how to integrate the skills into the scenarios they regularly face in the school environment.
A wide and varied range of blended training / learning methodologies will be used, e.g. live coaching demonstrations, discussion groups, peer coaching practice sessions and observed coaching sessions with constructive feedback, online learning and e-Learning.
- School Coaching Practice
Throughout the programme, you will be requested to identify and integrate coaching skills and principles in your leadership role in school
- Undertaking 1:1 Peer Coaching
We believe that to be an effective leader coach you need to have experienced the development journey of being a coachee. It is for this reason we will ask you to participate in peer coaching sessions as coach and coachee
- Faculty feedback
You will be observed on each of the modules and receive written and verbal faculty feedback against the QQI coaching competence areas at level 6.
- Portfolio of learning
A portfolio of learning is a requirement of this programme and provides evidence of a your learning and development against the QQI Coaching Competence framework at Special Purpose Award level. It also includes evidence of your development journey, experience and learning from being coached, as well as a written project covering your work with a coaching client.
Assessments for the Learning Portfolio include:
- Peer coaching practice
- Coaching skills practice in the school environment
- Written self evaluation on coaching skills utilised in your school
- Short reflective essays
- Coaching Skills Demonstraion (45 minute coaching session)
- Coaching Project - based on your Coaching Skills Demonstration
- Reflective Journal - on your learning over the course of the programme.
For application form please see: https://www.laoisedcentre.ie/laois-education-centre-news/152-coaching-skills-for-primary-ad-post-primary-school-leaders.html
|Course date||30-09-2020 6:15 pm|
|Course End Date||12-05-2021 9:15 pm|
|Registration Start Date||08-05-2020|
|Cut off date||25-09-2020 5:00 pm|
|Location||Laois Education Centre|